[Corpora-List] Metrics for corpus "parseability"

Paula Newman paulan at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 4 00:46:44 UTC 2008

Sean,
There is also some possibly relevant work relating to finding sources of  difficulty for a particular parser, for example
Gertjan van Noord. Error Mining for Wide-Coverage Grammar Engineering. In: ACL 2004, Barcelona  The latter (roughly) finds n-grams most often associated with a failure to obtain a complete parse, and might be adapted to predict in advance the well-behavedness of a corpus with respect to a particular parser and grammar.

In a similar vein, I've  recently experimented with predicting parser error--not just failure to parse--using some stable features, that is, ones that will not change as the parser is improved.  The experiments did not use noisy data.  As might be expected, the most important features were found to be sentence length (in terms of number of tokens),  the normalized (per-token) parse speed,  the number of basic chunks identified, and the preference score associated with the best parse (because the parser is preference-based).

Paula
- The number of chunks (ChunkCt) should be