[Corpora-List] Tag sets

chris brew cbrew at acm.org
Wed Feb 6 11:26:51 UTC 2008

My point was not that MULTEXT-EAST already meets Mike's needs exactly, butthat
it is a good basis for an extensible, cross-linguistically useful tagset
that does
do this.

The PDT 2.0 documentation, chapters 3 and 4, has a detailed discussion
of names and abbreviations,including the names of horses, DJs and Julie
Sedivy (whose
name is, they say, of Czech origin, but adjusted/smoothed over at some point
to fit in with
non-Czech expectations).

See http://ufal.mff.cuni.cz/pdt2.0/doc/manuals/en/m-layer/html/

There is much more.
Chapter 13.7 documents how to tag chess moves, should such occur in the
data.
Much of this is specific to Czech and Czech newspaper norms. It is the
general
approach (non-atomic tags, excellent documentation, care for the realities
of the
data) that I advocate. It is not a ready made solution, but a good basis for
one.