[Corpora-List] Nine questions regarding psycholinguistics -answer to Stephen

Marc Kupietz kupietz at ids-mannheim.de
Mon Feb 18 09:52:43 UTC 2008

Dear Linda,

> Lastly, you are also correct  in that the specific terms that I
> queried have nothing to do with corpus or computational linguistics.
> They have everything to do, however,  with  recent research in
> psycholinguistics dealing with  frequency, collocations, and discourse
> level priming experiments; i.e. terms that are  corpus linguistic in
> nature.

this really is a good point and makes your initial questions look like a
test (in a positive sense) whether we (corpus linguists) are aware of
our potentials and our responsibilities in research fields beyond the
corpus and besides "linguistic structure".

Best,
 Marc

> "Stefan Th. Gries" <stgries at gmail.com> wrote:
>         Dear Linda
>
>         You could have found answers to many of these questions (BTW:
>         questions 1 and 4 are identical) by simply googling the key
>         words:
>         Googling
>
>         - "masked priming" gives you
>         as first hit;
>         - "N400" gives you the Wikipedia page at ;
>         - "principal component analysis?" gives you the Wikipedia page
>         at
>         as the
>         first hit, and you can also look at
>         .
>
>         However, I fail to see why questions like these get sent to a
>         corpus
>         linguistics list. Many of the terms such as priming,
>         event-related
>         potentials, etc. are hardly corpus or computational linguistic
>         in
>         nature.
>
>         Sincerely,
>         STG
>         --
>         Stefan Th. Gries
>

> "Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind." John
> Donne
Dr. Marc Kupietz                                  Tel. (+49) 621/1581-409
Institute for the German Language, Lexical Studies / Corpus Linguistics
PO Box 101621, 68016 Mannheim, Germany        http://www.ids-mannheim.de/