[Corpora-List] No poverty of the stimulus

Yorick Wilks Yorick at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Sun Jan 6 18:50:35 UTC 2008

I am sure Iain's observation is the key one that should shut this
correspondence down:

*all uttered strings are (positive) data (to linguistic enquiry)
*all events are (positive) data (to physics)

BUT

*some linguistic strings refute some grammatical hypotheses (without
implausible gymnastics)
*some events refute some physical theories (ditto)

so that's it--honour saved on all sides,and linguistics is like
science, with the proviso that there are negative-events-FOR-SPECIFIC-
THEORIES!

The all-time favourite is surely the Michelson-Morley experiment
(1906?) which showed there was no ether drag and so no ether
Yorick Wilks

!