[Corpora-List] corpus of mathematical equations

Martin Wynne martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 15:58:48 UTC 2008

I don't thank that what you refer to would be a 'corpus' in the sense
that is understood by linguists, and on this mailing list.

Many a linguistic corpus includes some mathematical or other texts which
contain equations, but these are very unlikely to be analysed in any
way, since the corpus would have been constructed for the purposes of
linguistic research, and the corpus creator or annotator wouldn't expect
users to be interested in the content or meaning of the equations.

A collection of equations wouldn't be a text or a collection of texts,
and wouldn't be a linguistic corpus. It might exist, but I don't think
you'll find it here!

Martin

Mary Hearne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> on behalf of my colleague, Dónal Fitzpatrick:
>
> Do you know of any kind of corpus of mathematical equations where the constituent parts are tagged
> in any meaningful way?  I am uncertain as to:
> 1.  How the parts of an equation could be tagged
> or
> 2.  whether this has been done before.
>
> If you would like to contact him directly, Dónal's e-mail address is dfitzpat at computing.dcu.ie.
>
> Best regards,
> Mary Hearne

Martin Wynne
Head of the Oxford Text Archive and
AHDS Literature, Languages and Linguistics

Oxford University Computing Services
13 Banbury Road
Oxford
UK - OX2 6NN