[Corpora-List] legal terminology and indigenous languages: clarification

Mamari Stephens Mamari.Stephens at vuw.ac.nz
Tue Jan 22 17:15:50 UTC 2008

Greetings again...

In my haste to get a message out I realised that I had been a little less than clear in my original request (see below)!   I am looking to design a corpus of (mainly written) texts from which to extract legal terminology from the most frequent content words.  The ultimate aim would be to create a legal dictionary of Maori legal terms, but the design of the corpus is the critical first step.  I have been looking at some of the diachronic corpora (eg the corpus of historical Welsh) but any nore ideas or observations by others on how they might have designed their corpus would be most useful. I am interested in hearing what pitfalls people have faced in designing such corpora, and what specific issues have been faced when dealing with a language struggling to survive the experience of colonisation.

Thanks very much indeed

Nga mihi

Mamari

Mamari Stephens