[Corpora-List] SourceForge as a corpus

Francis Tyers spectre at ivixor.net
Fri Jan 25 08:23:39 UTC 2008

El jue, 24-01-2008 a las 23:43 +0100, Klaus Guenther escribió:

> In order for this to work, I'd like to see a license agreement for open
> corpora. We could start with Creative Commons licensing, and move on to
> a license unique to open corpora. In addition, there could be several
> commercial corpus licenses. The days where written corpora were
> expensive to create are mostly over. We're seeing new corpora based on
> web data arising, including monitor corpora such as accompanies the ANC.
> If the GPL works for FOSS, we can also work something out that works for
> corpora. By all pulling together and collaborating to create useful
> corpora, we can create a new frontier in linguistics.

Ideally the corpora would be dual licensed under a Creative Commons
Licence, _and_ the GPL. This would allow corpora, or parts of corpora to
be easily distributed _and packaged_¹ with GPL software. For example,
for the purposes of training. My particular preference would actually be
triple licensing under:

* Creative Commons BY-SA (3.0 or later)
* GPL (v2 or later)
* GFDL (with no invariant sections)

This allows licence compatibility with free software (GPL), free
software documentation (often GFDL) and other open content (increasingly
CC).

The easier option of course would be to make everything public domain
(or equivalent in countries without that concept) and then let people
choose their own licence for derivatives.

Thanks, from licence purgatory,

Fran

¹ One of the biggest GNU/Linux distributions, Debian, currently
considers variants of the GFDL with invariant sections, and all CC
licences other than CC-BY-SA 3.0 non-free.