[Corpora-List] ACL Video Archive - summary of responses

Reinhard Rapp reinhardrapp at gmx.de
Thu Jun 12 08:05:09 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

With regard to our previous e-mail (see below) to
this mailing list, Bonnie, Drago, Chris, and I would like
to thank the following people for their responses and
followup e-mails:

Andreas Eisele
Hal Daume III
Erik Tjong Kim Sang
Jason Eisner
Tomaz Erjavec
Chris Callison Burch
Yorick Wilks
Alexandre Rafalovitch
Wouter Weerkamp

Let me try to give a summary.

Most feedback was on interesting CL related
videos to be found on the web. By now, the
relevant section in the video archive, namely
"Links to videos on the web", has been updated
and the respective pointers have been included, see
www.aclweb.org/videoarchive

Hal mentioned that many of the recordings to
be found at http://videolectures.net come from
the bi-annual machine learning summer schools,
and suggested that we should try to apply the same
approach to similar CL related meetings such as the
JHU summer workshop, ESSLI, and the IRTG
summer school. This would indeed be highly
desirable, so we would appreciate any support
on this.

Jason and Chris brought to our attention that hundreds
of talks have been recorded at the Center for Language
and Speech Processing of the Johns Hopkins University
over the past 15 years, some of them still on VHS
cassettes. This appears to be a real treasure, waiting
to be digged up.

Yorick mentioned that he will continue his series
of interviews with the founders of computational
linguistics this summer with Martin Kay. The intention
hereby is to honour outstanding scientists, and to
preserve these important bits of the history of our
field for those to come. Let me say that we are more
than happy about this initiative, and about the motivation
behind it.

Alexandre pointed us to several interesting websites
including PodCorps:
http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/podcorps/
They are trying to coordinate a network of volunteers
with the aim of recording as many public events
as possible, which may be very relevant to us.
(If anyone has experience with this, further comments
would be welcome.)

Wouter was able to give us detailed technical information
on how to synchronize flash videos with pdf slides.
This is non trivial as the technology is new and as we
are working under certain constraints. For example,
we would like to use open standards (working with
all operating systems and browsers), free software
(that volunteers need not buy), and the server
environment given at our high bandwidth host.

All these ideas are very helpful and exciting.
However, together with the projects that are already
going on  (e.g. to establish cooperations, to improve the
website, and to make recordings at various conferences),
this will be a lot of work, so that with the current number
of volunteers progress can only be slow.

We would therefore be glad if further colleagues
would consider joining our informal mailing list
(just reply to this e-mail). Note that  it is important
to us that nobody feels excluded when (hopefully)
exciting developments will take shape. Therefore,
please let us know if you are interested.

In particular, we are currently looking for colleagues
who plan to visit one of the upcoming CL related
conferences and workshops, and might be able to
record some of the presentations that they would
attend anyway. This is not difficult at all, and we
would be able to provide instructions and possibly
equipment. Conference organizers will usually
appreciate this and may offer some privileges
(policies as yet to be established).

Many thanks again and with kind regards,

Reinhard