[Corpora-List] the vocalo-sonorant quotient

Angus Grieve-Smith grvsmth at panix.com
Tue Nov 4 12:48:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:

> The total of the frequency of occurrence of vowels and sonorant
> consonants in the sound speech chain allows us to judge if this or that
> language sounds melodically (musically).

 	Not my definition of musicality.  For example, I consider
Brazilian Portuguese to be much more musical than Carribean Spanish, but
I believe it allows more complex consonant clusters, and thus has less
vowels and sonorants.  Tone contours are what make the difference for me.

 					-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
 					University of New Mexico
 					grvsmth at panix.com