[Corpora-List] Stupid tgrep problem: negation not working

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:47:24 UTC 2008

List members,

I am having a dumb tgrep problem that I'm hoping someone else might
have run into.  I'm trying to specify 'does not (immediately)
dominate.'  However, I keep getting messages saying "Event not found"
with respect to the dominance or immediate dominance operator.

If I don't negate the dominance/immediate dominance operator,
everything is fine.  Thus:

babel>tgrep 'ADJP < CC' | more

(ADJP (VBG increasing)
      (CC and)
      (VBG diversifying))

(ADJP (RB so)
      (JJ fragile)
      (CC and)
      (JJ minute))

But:

babel>tgrep 'ADJP !< CC' | more
<: Event not found

I've tried this with single quotes and double quotes--no difference.
I've also tried it with the precedence operator--same pattern.

Any hints?

Kev
--
K. B. Cohen
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Center for Computational Pharmacology