[Corpora-List] update from Houston

Linda Bawcom linda.bawcom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 16 21:47:04 UTC 2008

Dear everyone,

It looks as if a message I sent a few days ago was not received. If you did receive it, you can just stop reading here as  my husband and I are fine. We got power back within 36 hours (though about a million and a half people are still with out it). The phone line was fixed the next day, Monday, along with, after a few calls, my internet connection.

The damage here on the west side of Houston was minimal (downed lines, trees, and fences mainly with some roofing damage-so our streets are lined for pickup of debris)  in comparison to  the northeastern part and some counties north of Houston and especially the coast, where whole small communities have  simply gone. No one can fly over Galveston now I've heard  because bodies are beginning to be washed ashore. I suppose that is to save relatives or friends the unexpected sight of a loved one. Unfortunately, 40% of Galveston did not evacuate. This is, I suppose, the result of the very poorly planned, and ultimately unnecessary  evacuation a few years ago for Hurricane Rita.

As far as food goes a number of supermarkets have opened, but none with pershible items yet, except, when lucky, milk, but people still are desperate for ice. Gas is in severe shortage, many waiting hours just for the sem's to pull up with a new supply. Of course if there is no power, it can't be pumped, so many stations are closed not only do to lack of gas but lack of power. Having stated that, every day things get a bit better.

Some schools are closed til Monday. I'm to start, possibly, Thursday. But I am really not sure that's a good idea. First of all, if students don't have power or gas, or worse food, then certainly studying is not going to be a priority and will only add to their anxiety. Second, lots of traffic lights are still out and if you've ever driven on four lane streets with left turn lanes, that can get a bit dangerous. So I'm concerned about their safety. Well, we'll see what happens.

On a more optimistic note, response from people has been phenomenial: neighbors helping neighbors, churches looking after their congregations  and taking people in, and volunteers coming to everyone's aid. (Which is necessary if you could see how FEMA (our disaster organization) is working.

Again, I would like to say thank you to all those who wrote expressing their concern. I was touched by your thoughtfulness. Also, once again I apologize for using the list to communicate to you all and thank you for your patience. I will now communicate only in personal e-mails and leave the corpra list to the business of "corprasing".
Kindest regards,
Linda