[Corpora-List] Corpus and Intuition

W. Louw louw at mango.zw
Thu Sep 18 05:05:01 UTC 2008

Hello all

I am grateful to Mira for raising the question of intuition. My work in this
area may look extensive but it has been hard-won. 400,000 words of it remain
censored in one way or another. You will see below that I am not even being
allowed access to the list replies. My service provider has always and over ten
years placed any material that I need urgently for my research, entirely by
accident, of course, in the spam trap. This process delays replies and causes
logical threads to be lost. Perhaps I need to tell the EU and the new PM.

So let me say this completely oblivious of the content of your messages.
Intuition is the one main reason why I am researching collocation as
instrumentation for language. We cannot discover deception in texts and
institutions if these are read in the normal way. Collocation subsists not only
in the TEXT being read but also in the WHOLE language against which a text is to
be read. What we cannot see in the text is often more important than what we can
see. Macherey called these 'absences'. Could we see that TRUTH and
RECONCILIATION were never collocates? Twenty three thousand victims of apartheid
were apparently conned by their inability to recognise that the institution was
logically a fake when read against the whole language. (Google CESLICF for this
paper).TRUTH collocates with JUSTICE. Did we see trials to establish justice and
the rule of law? No, we saw mass waiver. Do we know that we may be being framed
by the courts when we hear the term NATURAL JUSTICE? What are its collocates?
Use the corpus and know the truth. 'Trust the Text'.

John Sinclair in _Reading Concordances_ Chap 14 refers to Semantic Prosody as
'hidden meaning'. Hidden from what or whom? The answer is hidden from intuition.
Chris Ruehlemann mentions Susan Hunston's 're-visiting SP' article. That article
takes no account of my 'difficult to find in her own department' 2000 article in
Heffer and Sauntson (Eds.) entitled 'Contextual prosodic theory: bringing
semantic prosodies to life.' Nobody reprints that article! I sent copies to Mira
and others. My service provider offered no clue as to whether they reached you.
More articles on request. See my methodology paper in the Festschrift for Willi
van Peer just out (Viana & Zyngier Eds.)

More if I am allowed the benefit of Articles 12 and 19 of the UDHR.

Bill