[Corpora-List] Corpus size and accuracy of frequency listings

J Washtell lec3jrw at leeds.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 11:05:01 UTC 2009

Mark, Diana,

It seems to me that the question comes from a desire to quantify the
error in the word probabilities inferred from a sample of the
language. Or, conversely, to know how large does one's corpus has to
be before one can have a good degree of confidence that a ranked list
of 20,000 most frequent words calculated from it is sufficiently
accurate for one's needs.

It is therefore a straightforward question of statistical significance
is it not?

Assuming it is, then the size of the corpus is the single fundamental
factor, not any characteristic of the frequency distribution of the
words. If we have a 10 million word corpus and we observe word X
10,000 times, and word Y only once, we have still made precisely 10
million observations with respect to each word (some negative and some
positive), and so the dependability of both estimates is the same
(i.e. the variances of the observed word frequencies are some constant
proportion of the true word frequencies, depending on the sample
size). I might be wrong, but a little monte-carlo experiment in Excel
seemed to confirm this.

All this is assuming your sample is truly random of course, which
given the heterogeneity of your average corpus, is probably not true
(or even perhaps meaningful to try and achieve?) And knowing that it
isn't doesn't help you very much. Maybe you could try and make some
estimate of the heterogeneity of the language, and therefore the
reliability of this assumption, by looking at dispersion within the
corpus. It's not immediately clear how you'd make use of it if you did.

It is also quite possible that I've missed the point entirely :-)

Justin Washtell
University of Leeds