[Corpora-List] associative experiments, comparative linguistics

chris brew brew.2 at osu.edu
Thu Aug 20 03:24:31 UTC 2009

Lev
the cognitive psychology literature on semantic networks includes

   - Collins, A.M., & Quillian, M.R. (1969). Retrieval Time from Semantic
   Memory. *Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior*, 8, 240-247.
   - Collins, A.M., & Loftus, E.F. (1975). A Spreading Activation Theory of
   Semantic Processing. *Psychological Review*, 82, 407-428.

These have MANY, MANY successors and predecessors, going through Jung back
to Wihelm Wundt.

- I don't work much in this area, but there is a well-known piece of
cautionary advice, which is that the types
of associations you get can depend in subtle ways on fine details of how you
do the experiment, and that
it is therefore difficult to draw solid conclusions about what the
experiments really mean. You should really
ask your Russian collaborators precisely what they are trying to show. Large
scale data collection is a
great idea, but be aware of the risk of collecting a large amount of
worthless data, and pilot anything
you do very carefully on a small scale before you dive into the large-scale
work.

If you can find an accessible version of

Schulte im Walde, S., *Melinger, A.*, Roth, M., & Weber, A. (2008). An
Empirical Characterisation of Response Types in German Association
Norms. *Research
on Language and Computation*, 6(2), 205-238.

I'm sure it will be a good start as a more modern thing. Or Steyvers,
Shiffrin and Nelson 2004, which is
online at http://psiexp.ss.uci.edu/research/research.htm.

Two sentence summary: talk to the cognitive psychologists as well as the
computational linguists.They've
been all over this topic since the 19th century.

Chris

CSE and Linguistics