[Corpora-List] Corpora containing common English words including slang.

amsler at cs.utexas.edu amsler at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Aug 31 18:07:31 UTC 2009

In these days of internet text it would be hard to define slang. I'd
assume in simpler times slang would have been defined as language used
in speech that is not used (or acceptable) in published non-fiction
writing. Certainly the vocabulary of various sublanguages (especially
socially less desirable sublanguages such as that of drug slang,
prison slang, soldier slang, etc. would still be in 'slang' in
general; but today we have things like computer slang, restaurant
slang, fashion-industry slang, television and film slang, etc. The
distinction between slang and the specialized vocabulary of an
occupation probably can't be made?

The Wikipedia entry referenced makes the distinction between slang and
jargon. I am not as certain that holds up since some sublanguages have
acceptable and unacceptable language terms they use. We would thus
have to have both computer jargon and computer slang and distiniguish
between them on the basis of their acceptability within the computer
field. For example, is 'snail mail' jargon or slang? Did its status
change when it became generally known outside the computer field.
Wikipedia's entry for the 'jargon file'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon_File) begins with the sentence,
"The Jargon File is a glossary of hacker slang"