[Corpora-List] Fourth Interdisciplinary Workshop on Corpus-Based Approaches to Figurative langauge

Alan Wallington a.m.wallington at cs.bham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 12:58:32 UTC 2009

Since the inception of the biennial Corpus Linguistics Conferences in
2001, we have held an accompanying workshop on Corpus-Based Approaches
to Figurative Language and we would like to hold a similar
workshop/colloquium to accompany the 5th Corpus Linguistics Conference
being held in Liverpool, UK, on the 20th-23rd July.
http://www.liv.ac.uk/english/CL2009/index.htm. Our workshop/colloquium
would take place on Monday the 20th.

(See  http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~amw/CorpusLinguistics05.html for details
of the third workshop and
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~amw/CorpusLinguisticsWorkshopProgramme.html
for links to the papers).

Unfortunately,  we were unable to hold an accompanying workshop last
time in 2007 and so our last workshop was in 2005. Given this hiatus, we
would like to check before proceeding that there is still interest in a
workshop on Corpus-Based Approaches to Figurative Language.
Consequently, we are asking people who might be interested in submitting
a paper to contact us by Wednesday the 21st of January. Such an
expression in no way commits you to actually making a submission. If the
numbers are reasonable, we will hold another workshop.

As in previous years we intend to have a mixture of long papers (30 mins
+ 10 mins discussion) and short papers/poster. There will be a general
theme for the workshop and preference will be given to papers exploring
the theme, but we will also accept good papers examining any aspect of
figurative language from a corpus-based perspective.

This year the theme will be variation and variability in metaphor. This
is a broad topic which could, for example, encompass papers looking at
variation in particular types of metaphor, such as temporal metaphors,
across different genres; degrees of entrenchment or conventionality in
metaphor, again possibly across different genres/registers, and how to
use a corpus to get at this information; the nature of mixed metaphors;
and other possibilities.

If there is sufficient interest, further details will be published next
month.

Please send expressions of interest to

A.M.Wallington at cs.bham.ac.uk

An approximate title would be very welcome, but not required, and we
emphasise again that expressing interest entails no commitment to
submitting a paper or poster. Also, if you are interested in attending
the workshop, but probably will not submit a paper or poster, could you
also let us know.

DEADLINE FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST

21 JANUARY

Regards,