[Corpora-List] Story Understanding and Generation Workshop at IUI!

Catherine Havasi havasi at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 14 01:48:29 UTC 2009

Call for Participants!
Common Sense and Intelligent User Interfaces 2009:
Story Understanding and Generation for Context-Aware Interface Design

February 8th, 2009, Sanibel Island, Florida
An IUI 2009 Workshop

*********Guest Speaker: Roger Schank*********
Website: http://csc.media.mit.edu/iuiStories/
Send questions to csiui-pc at media.mit.edu
Organizers: Catherine Havasi, Henry Lieberman and Erik T. Mueller
http://csc.media.mit.edu/iuiStories/
Registration: http://www.regonline.com/Checkin.asp?EventId=649547

Papers:
Eliciting collaborative social interactions through online games
Jason B. Alonso, Angela Chang, Jeff Orkin and Cynthia Breazeal, MIT Media
Lab/Center for Future Storytelling

Experience-based Narrative Memory
Michael T. Cox, DARPA/IPTO David W. Aha Naval Research Laboratory

"I Don't Know What I Mean Until I Say It": The Need to Incorporate the
Effects of Language Generation on the Speaker
William Ferguson, BNN Technologies

Method for Automatically Generating Networks of Personal Relationships
from Story Summaries
Jun Goto, NHK Science and Technical Research Laboratories

New learning environment for enhancing story telling activities of
children with intellectual disabilities/autism using personal robot in the
classroom
Tetsuya Munekata, Netinal Instotute of Special Needs Education of Japan
Yoshihiro Fujita, NEC corp

Learning Hierarchical Plans by Reading Simple English Narratives
Dustin Smith and Kenneth Arnold, MIT Media Lab

Capturing Common Sense Knowledge via Story Generation
Kaoru Sumi, National Institute of Information & Communications Technology,
Japan

Human XP: Representing Belief, Desire, and Hidden Meanings
Jerry Weltman, Louisiana State University

"Knowlege is stories" - Roger Schank

While much work in AI has represented simple knowledge about everyday
life and activities at the word, sentence, and logical assertion
level, we see a growing need to understand it at a larger granularity,
that of stories. A story is a short, focused description of people and
events occurring over time, that has a "point" -- to inform, teach,
question, entertain, educate, illustrate or amuse.

Capturing common sense knowledge often involves uncovering the
implicit, unstated assumptions behind communication, often best
expressed through stories.  Work in story representations dates back
to Schank-style scripts and other efforts in the 80s, but recent
developments have unleashed new potential in this area. The maturity
of common sense
knowledge bases such as Cyc, Open Mind and ThoughtTreasure;
statistical and corpora-based natural language understanding
techniques; the explosion of participatory knowledge collection over
the Web; progress in cognitive science; the popularity of Web-based
storytelling media such as blogs; and new common sense reasoning
techniques are all enablers of the new generation of work on common
sense stories.