[Corpora-List] CFP: Semi-supervised Learning for NLP Workshop at NAACL 2009

Kevin Duh kevinduh at u.washington.edu
Sat Jan 24 06:44:43 UTC 2009

NAACL HLT 2009 Workshop on
Semi-supervised Learning for Natural Language Processing

June 4, 2009, Boulder, Colorado, USA
http://sites.google.com/site/sslnlp/

Call for Papers
(Submission deadline: March 6, 2009)

Machine learning has become an indispensable tool for natural language
processing (NLP) researchers. Unfortunately, given the limited
availability of annotated data, progress on supervised learning often
yields diminishing returns. Consequently, interest in semi-supervised
learning has grown in the NLP community. Yet, while some promising
results have been demonstrated to date, we suspect that consistently
good results might not be easy to achieve across the board. In
particular, many open questions remain:

1. Problem Structure: What are the different classes of NLP problem
structures (e.g. sequences, trees, lists) and what algorithms are best
suited for each class?
2. Background Knowledge: What kinds of NLP-specific background knowledge
can we exploit to aid semi-supervised learning?
3. Scalability: NLP data are often large. What are the scalability
solutions for applying existing semi-supervised learning algorithms to
NLP data?
4. Evaluation and Negative Results: What can we learn from negative
results? Can we make an educated guess as to when semi-supervised
learning might outperform supervised or unsupervised learning?

This workshop aims to bring together researchers dedicated to making
semisupervised learning work for NLP problems. Our goal is to help build
a community of researchers and foster deep discussions about insights,
speculations, and results (both positive and negative) that may
otherwise not appear in a technical paper at a major conference. We
welcome submissions of 3 types: Technical papers (complete work, ~8
pages), Late-breaking papers (work-in-progress, ~4 pages), Position
papers (perspectives/speculation, ~2 pages). For more information, see
the workshop website: http://sites.google.com/site/sslnlp/

IMPORTANT DATES:
March 6, 2009: Submission deadline
March 30, 2009: Notification of acceptance
April 12, 2009: Camera-ready copies due
June 4, 2009: Workshop held in conjunction with NAACL HLT Conference

PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Steven Abney (University of Michigan, USA)
Yasemin Altun (Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Germany)
Tim Baldwin (University of Melbourne, Australia)
Shane Bergsma (University of Alberta, Canada)
Antal van den Bosch (Tilburg University, The Netherlands)
John Blitzer (UC Berkeley, USA)
Ming-Wei Chang (UIUC, USA)
Walter Daelemans (University of Antwerp, Belgium)
Hal Daume III (University of Utah, USA)
Kevin Gimpel (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
Andrew Goldberg (University of Wisconsin, USA)
Liang Huang (Google Research, USA)
Rie Johnson [formerly, Ando] (RJ Research Consulting)
Katrin Kirchhoff (University of Washington, USA)
Percy Liang (UC Berkeley, USA)
Gary Geunbae Lee (POSTECH, Korea)
Gina-Anne Levow (University of Chicago, USA)
Gideon Mann (Google, USA)
David McClotsky (Brown University, USA)
Ray Mooney (UT Austin, USA)
Hwee Tou Ng (National University of Singapore, Singapore)
Vincent Ng (UT Dallas, USA)
Miles Osborne (University of Edinburgh, UK)
Mari Ostendorf (University of Washington, USA)
Chris Pinchak (University of Alberta, Canada)
Dragomir Radev (University of Michigan, USA)
Dan Roth (UIUC, USA)
Anoop Sarkar (Simon Fraser University, Canada)
Dale Schuurmans (University of Alberta, Canada)
Akira Shimazu (JAIST, Japan)
Jun Suzuki (NTT, Japan)
Yee Whye Teh (University College London, UK)
Kristina Toutanova (Microsoft Research, USA)
Jason Weston (NEC, USA)
Tong Zhang (Rutgers University, USA)
Ming Zhou (Microsoft Research Asia, China)
Xiaojin (Jerry) Zhu (University of Wisconsin, USA)

ORGANIZERS AND CONTACT:
- Qin Wang (Yahoo!)
- Kevin Duh (University of Washington)
- Dekang Lin (Google Research)