[Corpora-List] Laypersons' applied corpus linguistics

Adam Kilgarriff adam at lexmasterclass.com
Sun Jan 25 06:55:18 UTC 2009

Dear Hongyin Tao

this isn't layperson's corpus linguistics, it's another discipline called
Content Analysis, which has been around for longer than corpus linguistics
but has remarkably little crossover of references and interest despite
simialrity of methods - the only person I know of who has explicitly linked
the two approaches is Ken Litkowski.

>>From the little I know, CA blossomed as a method of propoganda analysis in
the US in the 60s, and now lives on particularly in psychotherapy and
related areas, as in the news clip you show.  One big famous system was
called General Enquirer.  They developed very large lexicons withe words
marked up for whether they were positive or negative, etc, adn also did lots
of work on WSD, as polysemy was aproblem for their method.

Refs

Harvard IV Psycho-Sociological Dictionary (*Kelly* & *Stone*, 1975).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_analysis
or for the abstract of a psychological piece using it, with a decent intro,
see http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a785037098~db=all
Or here:

 The assessment of psychological states through content analysis of verbal
communications.
Viney, Linda L.
Psychological Bulletin. Vol 94(3), Nov 1983, 542-563.
Abstract

   1. Presents a history of the use of content analysis in psychology and
   describes the development of CA scales, including an example of a scale in
   construction. The variety of verbal communications to which CA is applicable
   is also considered. Issues of reliability and validity were considered in a
   survey of the literature on a sample of 10 relatively well-developed CA
   scales. Some of the theoretical and practical advantages of the technique
   over other methods of assessing psychological states are also examined, as
   well as some of its problems and limitations. Information about available CA
   scales is included. Applications of CA in personality, developmental, and
   social psychology are considered, together with others in clinical,
   community, and health psychology. The scoring of CA scales by computer is
   also discussed, as is their contribution to an ethical relationship between
   researcher and research participant. The viability of CA as an aid in
   psychological research is evaluated. (158 ref) (PsycINFO Database Record (c)
   2008 APA, all rights reserved)

(which scarcely looks layperson-like to me!)

Regards,

Adam Kilgarriff

2009/1/24 Hongyin Tao <bbs.lists at gmail.com>

>  A recent example that just came up...