[Corpora-List] Michael Barlow - public talk at Aston University on July 28th: 'Social and Cognitive Approaches in Corpus Linguistics'

Elizabeth Tanguay tanguaye at aston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 3 09:45:43 UTC 2009

***Apologies for any cross-postings***

Public talk, Michael Barlow
Social and Cognitive Approaches in Corpus Linguistics
Tuesday 28th July, 18.00
-----------------------------------

Michael Barlow, Associate Professor in the Department of Applied Language
Studies and Linguistics at the University of Auckland in New Zealand, will
be giving the following public talk at Aston University on
Tuesday 28th July, 18.00 in room MB550

Social and Cognitive Approaches in Corpus Linguistics

'In this talk I examine different linguistic traditions, broadly American
and British, and explore how these traditions impinge on approaches to
corpus data and to the theoretical consequences of corpus analysis. With
this background in mind, I consider the cognitive and social dimensions of
research in corpus linguistics and examine a number of issues related to
the interpretation of corpus data, including differences inherent in
comprehension versus production and idiolects versus social groupings.'

Kind regards,

Lizzy Tanguay

PhD student in Corpus Linguistics
School of Languages and Social Sciences (LSS)
Aston University
Birmingham, B4 7ET