[Corpora-List] Web search engine for research

Diego Molla-Aliod diego.molla-aliod at mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 24 01:17:21 UTC 2009

I'm trying to replicate some experiments by Magnini et al. "Is It the
Right Answer? Exploiting Web Redundancy for Answer Validation". They
used AltaVista, but this search engine has changed since it was taken
by Yahoo! and as far as I can tell it doesn't support the old
AltaVista query options. Can someone tell of a search engine with an
API that supports the following?

 - AltaVista's old NEAR and boolean operators.
 - A reliable estimate of the number of matching pages. In particular,
Google's counts have changed radically during my experiments and this
can't be attributed to changes in the Web.

More generally, does anybody have a recommendation for a web search
engine with an API and with a large set of indexed pages and
transparent retrieval models?

Diego

--
Do you want to know what is going on in Language Technology in
Australia and New Zealand? Join ALTA -- http://www.alta.asn.au/

 This message is intended for the addressee named and may
 contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended
 recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.  Views expressed
 in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
 necessarily the views of Macquarie University.
Diego MOLLA ALIOD                                 diego at ics.mq.edu.au
Department of Computing               http://www.ics.mq.edu.au/~diego
Macquarie University
Sent from Sydney, Nsw, Australia