[Corpora-List] Ph.D. fellowship: Statistical Machine Translation, Xerox Research Centre Europe

Dymetman, Marc Marc.Dymetman at xrce.xerox.com
Tue Jul 28 16:21:35 UTC 2009

Open position at XRCE for a Ph.D. student in Statistical Machine
Translation

The Cross-Language Technologies (CLT) group of the Xerox Research Centre
Europe researches and develops effective methods for crossing language
barriers. Targeted applications include Statistical Machine Translation;
Multilingual Terminology Extraction; Cross-Language Information
Retrieval, Categorization and Clustering. The team is part of the PASCAL
2 European Network of Excellence, ensuring a strong network of academic
collaboration. XRCE is a highly innovative place and we strongly
encourage publication and interaction with the scientific community.

We are opening a position for a Ph.D. student in the field of
Statistical Machine Translation (SMT).

In the context of the SMT system and tools developed by the team, and
under the supervision of senior researchers, the student will propose
and implement innovative solutions for improving the current state of
the art in SMT research. The focus of the thesis will be one of the
following themes: improved word-alignment and bi-phrase construction;
advanced decoding beyond beam-search; learning efficiently from human
annotations. More details will be provided upon enquiry and the precise
subject will be determined in interaction with the retained candidate.

Desiderata:

  Masters degree in Computer Science, Computational Linguistics,
  Statistics or related domains.

  Scientific creativity.

  Good programming skills in C, C++, and/or Python or Perl.

  Good command of English.

  Some previous experience in statistical machine translation and/or
  machine learning would be a plus.

To apply: Please email your CV and covering letter, with message subject
"SMT PhD" to xrce-candidates as well as to Nicola.Cancedda at
xrce.xerox.com and to Marc.Dymetman at xrce.xerox.com .

Inquiries should be sent to Nicola.Cancedda at xrce.xerox.com and to
Marc.Dymetman at xrce.xerox.com .

Duration: 3 years.

Application deadline: September 15th, 2009

Starting date: November, 2009

The Xerox Research Centre Europe (http://www.xrce.xerox.com) is a young,
dynamic research organization, which aims at creating innovative
document technologies to support growth in Xerox content and document
management services. XRCE is part of the Xerox Innovation group made up
of 800 researchers and engineers in four world-renowned research and
technology centres. Our domains of research stretch from the social
sciences to computing. Our expertise lies in natural language
processing, data mining, pattern analysis, xml, work practice and
knowledge management agents. The variety of both cultures and
disciplines at XRCE makes it both an exciting and stimulating
environment to work in.