[Corpora-List] Compared or Parallel Corpus (corrected)

Alberto Simões albie at alfarrabio.di.uminho.pt
Sun Mar 1 17:11:56 UTC 2009

Hello, Colt

J. R. Colt Clint wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Could someone answer me If texts (e.g., novels) were originally written
> in other languages, but have been translated into English. After
> aligning these texts - sentence by sentence. Are we faced with a
> parallel corpus or compared corpus?
>
> In another way texts (e.g., documents from World Bank or UE) were
> originally written in several languages - at the same time. After
> aligning these texts - sentence by sentence. Are we faced with a
> compared corpus or a parallel corpus?

In any case you are dealing with parallel corpora, as the text say
exactly the same (ok, somecases almost the same).

Compared or comparable corpora is when you are dealing with two texts,
written originally in two different languages, but are about the same
subject.

Cheers
Alberto

> Best regards
>
> J.R. Colt Clint

Alberto Simões - Departamento de Informática - Universidade do Minho
                 Campus de Gualtar - 4710-057 Braga - Portugal