[Corpora-List] RaAM endorsed Colloquium on Corpus-Based Approaches to Figurative Language at Corpus Linguistics 2009

Alan Wallington a.m.wallington at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Mar 16 16:19:30 UTC 2009

Since the inception of the biennial Corpus Linguistics Conferences in
2001, we have held an accompanying workshop/colloquium on Corpus-Based
Approaches to Figurative Language. We are continuing the tradition with
the 5th Corpus Linguistics Conference being held in Liverpool, UK, on
the 20th-23rd July.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/english/CL2009/index.htm.

Our workshop/colloquium will be taking place on Monday the 20th and this
year we are pleased to be able to say that the colloquium is being
endorsed by RaAM (Researching and Applying Metaphor) see
http://www.raam.org.uk/Home.html

(See  http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~amw/CorpusLinguistics05.html for details
of the last workshop and
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~amw/CorpusLinguisticsWorkshopProgramme.html
for links to the papers)

This year the theme will be variation and variability in metaphor. This
 is a broad topic which could, for example, encompass papers looking at
 variation in particular types of metaphor, such as temporal metaphors,
across different genres such as news items or personal blogs; degrees of
entrenchment or conventionality in metaphor, again possibly across
different genres/registers, and how to use a corpus to get at this
information; the nature of mixed metaphors; and other possibilities.

We therefore invite contributions to the colloquium, which will consist
of 30 minute papers with 10 minutes discussion plus a poster session
accompanied by brief verbal introductions by the authors. There will
also be a general discussion period exploring the theme. Preference for
the long papers will be given to papers exploring the theme, but we will
also accept good papers examining any aspect of figurative language from
a corpus-based perspective, since we believe that participants who have
undertaken good corpus-based studies of a particular topic, but who have
used only a single genre or corpus may find fruitful interaction with
other participants who have investigated similar topics but used
different genre. Such interaction would by itself be an important
contribution to the theme of variety and variability.

The selection of papers/posters will be made on the basis of a two page
abstract, with references, tables and diagrams being permitted on an
extra page. Abstracts may be submitted in either pdf or Microsoft Word
or rtf, with a font size of 12 and a Times or Times New Roman font.
Margins must be reasonable so that the abstracts can be printed without
any problems.

Authors of successful papers will also be encouraged to write up their
abstracts as full 6-8 page papers for inclusion in the Colloquium
Proceedings, which will be published as a University of Birmingham
Technical Report with an ISBN number and made available at the
colloquium. There will be no charge for these proceedings for the
participants. The papers will also be viewable on-line prior to the
colloquium. No further reviewing will be made of these full papers.

In the proceedings, there will be no distinction between papers and
posters. However, for a paper presentation at the colloquium, preference
will be given to submissions that adhere to the theme of variation and
variability in metaphor. A paper presentation slot will also only be
given to those authors who have written up their abstracts as full papers.

DATES

Two page abstracts by Sunday the 5th of April.

Notification of acceptance: Monday the 13th of April.

Full paper versions by Sunday the 5th of July.

We apologise for the fairly short notice, but the deadline for early
registration at Corpus Linguistics is the 19th of April.

Please send abstracts to

A.M.Wallington at cs.bham.ac.uk.

Selection and Organising Committee

Alan Wallington, John Barnden, Mark Lee (School of Computer Science,
University of Birmingham)
Rosamund Moon, Jeanette Littlemore (School of English University of
Birmingham)
Gill Philip (CILTA, Università degli Studi di Bologna)

Any enquiries may be addressed to Alan Wallington A.M.Wallington at
cs.bham.ac.uk

Kind Regards,

Alan Wallington

A.M.Wallington at cs.bham.ac.uk