[Corpora-List] Distribution of mutual information?

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Wed Mar 18 15:04:39 UTC 2009

[retry with smaller plot, as message > 40 kB to corpora list was
blocked]

Hi Linas!

> Will, I've taken a more circuitous route, but not yet arrived
> at your results. At the moment, I've been trying to generate
> random texts. It appears that my random texts are not
> Zipfian enough, they're rather stair-steppy; and this produces
> MI graphs  with  Gaussian fall-offs to the sides -- I think I'm
> learning that its not as easy to create a Zipfian distribution
> as it is made out to be.

Sampling from a Zipfian distribution isn't difficult at all, at least
if you're running R (btw, if you're doing a lot of exploratory data
analysis, you should consider R -- it's an excellent environment for
this kind of research):

library(zipfR)
population <- lnre("zm", alpha=.5, B=.05)  # Zipf-Mandelbrot law with
a=2
w1 <- rlnre(population, 10e6)
w2 <- rlnre(population, 10e6)

With a little patience, this gives you a sample of 10 million random
co-occurrence tokens, where both components (w1 and w2) are sampled
from the same Zipfian distribution.  Calculating contingency tables
and MI scores is a little tricky, though, and takes some more
patience ...

Anyway, I get the following distribution of MI scores in this
simulated population, which -- by definition -- has no statistical
associations at all between words: