[Corpora-List] Seeking beta-testers for new BitTorrent distribution of my USENET corpus.

Cyrus Shaoul cyrus.shaoul at ualberta.ca
Wed Mar 18 23:08:41 UTC 2009

Fellow list members,

As you may know, I have been distributing a 20 billion word corpus of
USENET postings over HTTP for a few years, but recently, I have been
getting a lot
of feedback from prospective users of the corpus. They have found the
bandwidth limits on my server have made it difficult to download the corpus.

To alleviate this problem, I have split the corpus into 4 parts, and
made it available using BitTorrent. I am seeking beta-testers to try out
this method of corpus distribution.

Please help the community by downloading part or all of the corpus, and
leaving your BitTorrent client on so that others can download the corpus
faster.

(Also, please check with your network administrators before using
BitTorrent on academic or corporate networks. There may
be certain policies in place that will prevent you from using torrents
on those networks.)

The new download page is here:

http://www.psych.ualberta.ca/~westburylab/downloads/usenetcorpus.download.html

Yours,