[Corpora-List] Chinese name frequencies

Jerry Kurjian j_kurjian at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 01:04:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions.

I haven't been able to find a data set for mainland surnames.  I did, however, come across a data set of Chinese names in Taiwan (http://technology.chtsai.org/namelist), which is based on college entrance exam name lists from 1994 to 2008.  The rankings between the Taiwanese and wiki list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_Chinese_surnames) is somewhat different, see below.  If I come across a more representative data set of mainland China names, I will post it.  - Jerry

Taiwanese               Chinese surname ranks (wiki)

chen                       Li

lin                          Wang

huang                     Zhang

zhang                     Liu