[Corpora-List] [ANNOUNCE] Google Summer of Code 2009

Francis Tyers ftyers at prompsit.com
Wed Mar 25 07:58:05 UTC 2009

El mar, 24-03-2009 a las 22:26 -0500, Linas Vepstas escribió:
> The Google Summer of Code 2009 has started, and there
> are several linguistics related slots that are open, as
> sub-projects under the SIAI entry.
>
> What this means is that eligible students can submit proposals
> to perform linguistics-related research and coding, and get
> awarded a fairly significant amount of cash if the project is
> completed!
>
> If you're a prof, and have students who might be capable and
> interested in getting their hand dirty monkeying on the guts of
> things, please point them here.  Open to advanced undergrads
> and grad students.
>
> The work has to somehow fit into the framework of the OpenCog
> project.  The "Ideas" page lists various ideas for project proposals;
> the  linguistics "ideas" are about half-way down the list: See
>
>      http://opencog.org/wiki/Ideas
>
> Students must write their own proposals, they'll be competing
> with other proposals in AI, linguistics and robotics to get
> accepted.  Last year, we recieived 70 submissions for 11 slots;
> while many submissions were mediocre, many were great
>
> Proposal deadline is 3 April 2009.
>
> The main GSOC page is below, it lists general requirements,
> instructions etc.
>
>      http://socghop.appspot.com/
>
> The SIAI/Opencog page, which is mentoring these projects
> is here:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/opencog
>
> --linas

Hey,

The Apertium project is taking part this year as well, so if there are
students reading who are interested in rule-based and hybrid machine
translation, our ideas are here:

 http://wiki.apertium.org/wiki/Ideas_for_Google_Summer_of_Code

And our GSOC page is here:

 http://socghop.appspot.com/org/show/google/gsoc2009/apertium

The rest of the information is as Linas pointed out.

Regards,

Fran