[Corpora-List] Survey: applications using grammar-based parsers

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:59:06 UTC 2009

2009/3/31 Trond Trosterud <trond.trosterud at uit.no>:

> Summary of the Parser query

[...]

Since constraint grammars got an (implied) top billing for
accuracy, I feel compelled to point out that the "link-grammar
add-on" (RelEx) is essentially a constraint-grammar-like
post-processor. It represents sentences as annotated graphs,
and applies a sequence of rules to transform the graph
(e.g. annotate with part-of-speech, but also to "extract"
much more abstract relationships held within the graph.)
This is done *after* parsing, not before: parsing provides
the baseline, and the graphical rule engine runs on top of that.

The rules that define the graph edits are hand-built.
Current focus for research is to somehow automatically
(via corpus statistics and/or AI techniques) learn new rules,
and refine/correct existing rules.  Only baby-steps in this
direction have been taken.

> Link grammar
> ------------
> Link grammar is based upon rules constraining the relations words may
> have to neighbouring words (hence the name). It is implemented for
> English, and in use in a experimental en2de MT system. Link grammar is
> the basis for the grammar checker in AbiWord, and it is used in
> several commercial multi-player games. Link grammar also has an add-
> on, which can create dependency structures.
> URLs:
> http://www.link.cs.cmu.edu/link/
> http://www.abisource.com/projects/link-grammar/
> http://opencog.org/wiki/Relex, https://launchpad.net/relex