[Corpora-List] Principal Lectureship in English Language at the University of Brighton

R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk R.M.Salkie at bton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 7 18:50:19 UTC 2009

Principal Lecturer in English Language (Post AH3083)

*         The job advert is at:
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/personnel/jobs.html
<http://www.brighton.ac.uk/personnel/jobs.html>

*         The full particulars are at:
http://www.brighton.ac.uk/personnel/recruitment/AH3083.pdf
<http://www.brighton.ac.uk/personnel/recruitment/AH3083.pdf>

*         The closing date for applications is Tuesday 20 October 2009.

*         Information about the School of Humanities:
http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/ <http://arts.brighton.ac.uk/>

*         Research in the School includes Linguistics, Language teaching
and Language teacher education, Literature, Cultural Studies, Politics,
Philosophy and Media Studies.  Most relevant to this post are the first
two areas in this list. Linguistics research includes contrastive
linguistics and translation studies using multilingual corpora; tense
and modality in English, French and German; Grammatical theory in
England and France; Grammar and writing; and the interface between
semantics and pragmatics. Our work in Language Teaching and Language
Teacher Education includes pedagogic beliefs and their effect on
pedagogic change; reflexive commentaries on research methods;
professional development and reflective practice; factors in the decline
of modern foreign language teaching in UK schools; and the student
experience of Higher Education.

The post

We are looking for academic leadership in this area: someone who can
lead our English Language provision which is aimed at native speakers of
English (not to be confused with our 'English Studies' provision for
non-native speakers and our 'Learn English' commercial EFL and EAP
courses). We want someone who can strengthen what we already do and will
also develop new courses and new fields of research.

For informal discussion please contact either the Head of School, Dr.
Paddy Maguire, on 01273 641862 or email p.j.maguire at bton.ac.uk
<mailto:p.j.maguire at bton.ac.uk> , or Professor Raphael Salkie on 01273
653335 or email r.m.salkie at bton.ac.uk <mailto:r.m.salkie at bton.ac.uk> ;
or Ulla Spittler on 01273 643518 or email u.spittler at bton.ac.uk; or