[Corpora-List] Deixis

Leo Schmitt baltit1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 20:15:49 UTC 2009

I'm not sure I agree that 'you lie' should be interpreted as a simple
present. The phrase has entered colloquial language with a pretty strong
disbursement having the meaning of disagreement with a particular statement.
See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you+lie
My two cents.

peace,

Leo

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 8:46 AM, chris brew <brew.2 at osu.edu> wrote:

> joe wilson's "you lie!", to me, is odd. if it is discourse deixis then i
> think a fully competent native speaker unconstrained by congressional rules
> would have said either "that is  a lie" or "you are lying". the natural
> interpretation of "you lie!" is as a claim that obama habitually lies. if
> wilson was doing his "spontaneous outburst" after careful thought and
> preparation, then the wording may have been quite deliberate, so as to avoid
> the outright claim that what obama just said was a lie.
> for the larger questions, see donna byron's work on deixis. in natural
> texts and dialogs there are a lot of potential targets for deixis, including
> many that are not easy to associate with anything present in the surface
> form of the text. (my summary, not donna's, read her work if you want the
> real scoop)
>
> chris
>

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 4:34 AM, <CRuehlemann at aol.com> wrote:
>
>>  Dear All
>>
>> I'd be grateful for pointers to corpus research on deictic phenomena
>> including any deictic category: person deixis (e.g. personal pronouns),
>> place deixis (reference to location, such as *over there*), time deixis
>> (like *yesterday* and tense), discourse deixis (reference to the
>> discourse, such as Joe Wilson's  "You lie!"), social deixis (reference to
>> social relationship and role), emotional - or empathetic - deixis (indices
>> of personal involvement).
>>
>> Any hints are greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Chris

> --