[Corpora-List] The Bank of English as a monitor corpus

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Tue Sep 22 13:52:58 UTC 2009

>> ah, but Mark, you're the only one with the genre-balanced, time-balanced corpus we all dream of :-)

So good of you to notice, Adam ;-). And it needn't be just a dream, either -- COCA is freely available, and is being used by ~9000 people each week :-)

Seriously, though, I am quite interested in data from other corpora for some research I'm doing on recent syntactic shifts in English, and so I am sincerely interested in how the Bank of English or other large corpora (or even text archives) might be used as monitor corpora. Although I am running into some methodological issues (corpus size and balance), I genuinely do hope there are some work-arounds or solutions so that I can get the needed data; hence the initial post.

I have gotten a few useful responses (not on the BoE per se, but on related issues) and I'll post a summary in a day or two.

Mark Davies

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **