[Corpora-List] Bank of English as a monitor corpus

Bill Louw louwfirth at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 21:42:48 UTC 2009

Hi Mark and Adam and all

I used the BOE as a monitor corpus to falsify the Truth and Reconciliation Commission from its title alone in 2003 (see CESLIC Bologna University website) and in the same article I unpack the institutional deception of long standing called 'natural justice'. The latter deception cannot be analysed using the BNC because it homogenises the data by drawing almost all of it from legal textbooks instead of newspaper reports of court cases (see my closing keynote at TaLC6 in Granada in 2004 (in Quereda, Hidalgo et al Eds.).

Why not start with institutions instead of the languasge? The BOE gives you a mode of action in rebus as Firth and Malinowski might have observed. The BOE was put together along Firthian lines by John Sinclair and it allows for clearer insights at the Firthian level of modes of meaning. Sadly, John was never allowed a collocation dictionary. That would have assisted the type of research you are engaged in.

Bill Louw
University of Zimbabwe