[Corpora-List] Bank of English as a monitor corpus

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Wed Sep 23 13:54:09 UTC 2009

Brett T. wrote:

>> Without wishing to trojan horse this discussion, you may like to know that the recently revamped version of WordbanksOnline, that of course evolved from the boe, are available at present on a free trial basis: www.collinslanguage.com/wordbanks/Default.aspx

I think it address the question perfectly. Thanks for your input, Brett.

Bill L. wrote:

>> I hope that the word bank is a step forward.
>> The word WORD indicates that it may not be. Frege tried to wean us off single words more than 100 years ago.
>> Only COLLOCATION makes them FACTS
>> I am sure that if your registered users feel sold short by the new software they will let the list know.

I've been using the Bank of English via Word Banks Online for the last couple of weeks. Although I do have questions about the corpus design (for diachronic work), what I really do like about the BoE in its most recent incarnation as WBO is the interface. It is based on the Sketch Engine architecture and interface, which does a wonderful job with collocates and collocations. I would strongly recommend to anyone here who is mainly interested in collocates and collocations that they take a look at BoE/WBO online -- especially if they aren't already familiar with Sketch Engine and what it has to offer (and no, I'm not on their payroll :-).

And not unpredictably (here it comes, Adam) I might mention that you might also want to take a look at the COCA corpus (www.americancorpus.org) -- very similar to Sketch Engine in terms of queries (collocates, etc), large genre-balanced corpus, and freely available online.

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **