[Corpora-List] Phonemes of primitive languages

Yuri Tambovtsev yutamb at mail.ru
Fri Dec 3 19:55:20 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues, can we think that in primitive that is seminal languages the speech sounds were also simple? I compared the frequency of occurrence of speech sounds of some 300 languages which I have in my phonetics corpora and came to the conclusion that simple phonemes occur more frequently and in more world languages. Is there any law under it or is it just a chance? And what is a chance in a language speech chain? Looking forward to hearing from you to yutamb at mail.ru  Be well, Yuri Tambovtsev, Novosibirsk