[Corpora-List] Phonemes of primitive languages

John A Goldsmith goldsmith at uchicago.edu
Sat Dec 4 14:52:01 UTC 2010

Phoneme frequencies, as far as I can see --- and I've looked -- don't
display a Zipfian distribution. There are some good reasons not to
expect them to, in the sense that we've come to expect Zipfian
distributions to arise from processes that frequently introduce new
items into the set in question, all the while preferring to repeat items
that have appeared with higher frequency. Words can be thought of as
generated by such a process without too much straining of the
imagination, but phonemes cannot.
John Goldsmith