[Corpora-List] Linguistics, corpus linguistics, and diglossia

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Fri Dec 17 17:45:51 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 8:35 PM, Angus B. Grieve-Smith wrote:
> As I'm sure you're aware, corpus linguistics is fine; it's just that you
> need a corpus that's representative of what you're studying.

Ay, there's the rub.  What do you do when the corpora don't exist,
because people have been educated not to write the way they talk?

I'm sure corpus linguists have pondered this.  How do they study things
like "ain't", "y'all", "youse", "youse-uns", "might could", and other
non-standard constructions?  Large scale transcription of spoken
English?  (And English is barely diglossic, compared with languages like
Arabic or Tamil.)
--
	Mike Maxwell