[Corpora-List] Grand Challenges in Computing Research

Eric Atwell csc6ea at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Feb 2 22:52:57 UTC 2010

UKCRC, The UK Computing Research Committee, have asked for
"Grand Challenges in Computing Research for 2010 and beyond"
http://www.ukcrc.org.uk/grand-challenge/2010.cfm

They invite 2-page outline ideas by 8th February,
for a workshop in Edinburgh, Scotland, on 16th April 2010.
Outlines have to relate to "major societal grand challenges",
specifically: climate change, assisted living, security and health.
Ideas should have wide appeal within the Computing research community.

For example, I'd like to propose: "Understanding the Quran -
a new Grand Challenge for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence"
- see draft at
http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/eric/UnderstandingTheQuran.doc

If you like this idea, please join me as a supporter of this proposal
- email me your NAME, and AFFLIATION - department/school and university.

Or send UKCRC your own Grand Challenges in Computing Research!

Eric Atwell,
  Senior Lecturer, Language research group, School of Computing,
  Faculty of Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS, Leeds LS2 9JT, England
  TEL: 0113-3435430  FAX: 0113-3435468  WWW/email: google Eric Atwell