[Corpora-List] Can corpora help to distinguish a dialect and a language?

Paula Newman paulan at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 15 20:09:38 UTC 2010

Hi,
This is a funny discussion.  Why?  Because it indicates that the Weinreich
quote was originally given in Yiddish, definitely a language, not a dialect
of German, but never having an army or navy, or much political power.

That Yiddish is a separate language that amalgamates German syntax (albeit
dialect syntax) with many borrowings is directly indicated by the included
quote
>Assaf, "A halber emes iz a gantse lign."
(A half truth is a whole lie).

The sentence is not intelligible to a monolingual German speaker except by
guessing--some examples: "emes" is the Hebrew word for truth, and "lign"
seems to be a Germanization of the English ambiguity between lie
(n-untruth, v-tell an untruth) and lay (v-place, v-locate).

Also, Yiddish is normatively written in Hebrew script rather than Latin
script.

Possibly a better definition of the distinction between a dialect and a
language would focus on the amount of difference between the purported base
language and the dialect, possibly indicated by mutual intelligibility.

Paula

supporting documentation?

Diana, I think the one-army thing is a minimum. The Catalan exception shows
that it's actually political power, not military power, that matters.