[Corpora-List] Studies of 'as it were', 'so to speak' and 'in a manner of speaking'?

Mark Davies Mark_Davies at byu.edu
Wed Feb 17 19:33:38 UTC 2010

Raf,

>>From the 400 million word Corpus of *Contemporary* American English (www.americancorpus.org):

2312 tokens for "so to speak": http://www.americancorpus.org/?q=3467834
1593 tokens for "as it were": http://www.americancorpus.org/?q=3466390
144 tokens for "in a manner of speaking": http://www.americancorpus.org/?q=3467842

>>From the 400 million word Corpus of *Historical* American English (alpha version; not publicly-available yet; just screenshots):

6321 tokens for "soToSpeak": http://corpus.byu.edu/images/soToSpeak.gif
2750 tokens for "as it were": http://corpus.byu.edu/images/asItWere.gif
161 tokens for "in a manner of speaking": http://corpus.byu.edu/images/inaMannerOfSpeaking.gif

>>From the 100 million word British National Corpus (corpus.byu.edu/bnc/):

353 tokens for "so to speak": http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/?q=3468024
27 tokens for "in a manner of speaking": http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/?q=3468346
Can't search "as it were" with BYU-BNC, because of BNC MWE / architecture mismatch

>>From the 100 million word TIME Corpus [1920s-2000s] (corpus.byu.edu/time)

191 tokens of "so to speak": http://corpus.byu.edu/time/?q=3468086
178 tokens of "as it were": http://corpus.byu.edu/time/?q=3468061
Only 13 tokens of "in a manner of speaking": http://corpus.byu.edu/time/?q=3468107 (too few for any real analysis)

Historical:

"As it were" has been decreasing since the early 1800s, steepest decrease of the three during the last 20 years
"In a manner of speaking" increasing early 1900s-1970s, some decrease since then
"So to speak" increase through the late 1800s, gradual decrease since then
Note: the TIME Corpus doesn't show these shifts as well. May be due to one genre / one source, and these seem to be stylistically-marked constructions

>>From a genre-based perspective, it is interesting that in both COCA and the BNC, "in a manner of speaking" is so much higher in fiction. With direct searches, you can see other genre comparisons and American/British differences in the two corpora, as well as look at collocates, etc.

Best,

Mark D.

Mark Davies
Professor of (Corpus) Linguistics
Brigham Young University
(phone) 801-422-9168 / (fax) 801-422-0906
Web: http://davies-linguistics.byu.edu

** Corpus design and use // Linguistic databases **
** Historical linguistics // Language variation **
** English, Spanish, and Portuguese **