[Corpora-List] Studies of ' as it were' , ' so to speak' and ' in a manner of speaking' ?

Bill Louw louwfirth at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 03:56:51 UTC 2010

Hello Raf and All

It seems to me that Mark is correct. The use is stylistic and bears upon semantic prosody. All three expressions can be used as 'nudge...nudge' flags to indicate that the speaker is being ironiuc or punning. All devices relexicalise (as I have said elsewhere since about 1991), so, the quoted passage begins to invoke Jakobson's metalingual function in which language is used to refer to itself. The humour is embedded within the notion of hedges around uncertainty. In a pre-corpus world one might say that the author is appealing to a classroom understanding of how subjunctives are used to express uncertainty and how odd this sounds if it is contrasted, then and there, with its indicative counterpart. Bill Louw