[Corpora-List] Research on Genre Analysis in Ditransitive Constructions

True Friend true.friend2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 01:40:05 UTC 2010

Hi
I wanted to know any research (corpus based) regarding the genre
distribution of ditransitive verbs and their patterns. For example any
research on Brown Family corpora regarding the preference of certain
ditransitive pattern (He gave me a pen i.e. Double Object, OR He gave a pen
to me i.e. To Dative) in some genres.
As during my research on ditransitives, I have a perception that 'To Dative'
pattern is more common in genres related to Print Media (News, Editorials,
Columns etc) while 'Double Object' is common in Literary Genres (e.g.
Novels, Short Stories). But I am unable to find some previous work which can
confirm or reject my hypothesis, or may provide me further insight in this
regard.
Any help would be appreciated.

--
Muhammad Shakir Aziz محمد شاکر عزیز
Masters in Applied Linguistics (last semester student)