[Corpora-List] Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science (DHCS)

Martin Mueller martin.mueller at mac.com
Thu Jul 15 14:40:34 UTC 2010

The fifth annual Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science (DHCS) will be held at Northwestern University on November 21-22, 2010 (Sunday-Monday).

The tag line for this year's colloquium is "Working with Digital Data: Collaborate, Curate, Analyze, Annotate." This does not exclude a whole lot. Quality will always trump category, but we will be particularly interested in papers or poster sessions about annotation, scholarly crowdsourcing, and challenges of human/computer interaction. How to create better texts from OCR may be a problem in which new forms of human/computer interaction hold particular promise.

We would welcome submissions from corpus linguists and would have a special interest in papers or poster sessions that address the ways in which the tools, resources, and findings of corpus linguistics are relevant to other disciplines in the humanities.

The deadline for submissions is August 31, with notification by September 17. We welcome submissions for

1. Paper presentations (20 minutes)
2. Poster sessions
3. Software demonstrations

Please submit an abstract (no more than 2 pages, please) in either Adobe PDF (preferred) or Word format to dhcs-submissions at listhost.uchicago.edu.

The colloquium now has its own website at http://chicagocolloquium.org/. It is still under construction but the links to past colloquia are a useful guide to the scope and spirit of this event.

We will announce the program in the last week of September. There will be no registration fee, but we will require registration (details to be sorted out).

For questions about the program contact

Martin Mueller
Professor of English and Classics
martinmueller at northwestern.edu

For questions about registration,  logistics and administrative matters contact

Nathan Mead
Coordinator, Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science
n-mead2 at northwestern.edu