[Corpora-List] Advice Appreciated - AI Documentary

Kevin B. Cohen kevin.cohen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 00:14:29 UTC 2010

Kais,

A more interesting question might be, "what do you think would be
better than the Turing test?"

Kev

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Kais Dukes <sckd at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello members of the corpora mailing list,
>
> My apologies if this is a bit off topic. A friend of mine (a professional film maker) together with myself are considering making an independent science documentary based on interviewing 4 or 5 academics in the UK. This documentary will be aimed at the general public, but those interested in science, and in particular the documentary aims to cover the current state of AI, as well as possible predictions of what might be realistic in the future. The current idea, is to pose the following question to interviewees:
>
> "Do you think that the Turing Test will be solved in the next 50 years?"
>
> It is hoped that this question will open up some debate during the documentary about AI in general, and about its possible future, as well as its past. I appreciate that this is a bit off topic (although arguably interesting to those of a more computer science background). What I would like to get people’s opinions on ... do you think that there is a more suitable question we can pose during this documentary instead of the above question? In summary, I'm looking for a concise "angle" or question that will give some structure around the interviews with academics, instead of just general questions about the topic.
>
> Hopefully this documentary will give an insight into AI research in general, while at the same time providing a debate about an interesting topic showing both sides of the argument. Do you think that the above question might lead to this? Any better suggestions or feedback on this idea for an educational documentary is most welcome!
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> - Kais Dukes
> School of Computing
> University of Leeds

K. B. Cohen
Biomedical Text Mining Group Lead, Center for Computational Pharmacology
and
Lead Artificial Intelligence Engineer, The MITRE Corporation, Human
Language Technology Division
303-916-2417 (cell) 303-377-9194 (home)
http://compbio.uchsc.edu/Hunter_lab/Cohen