[Corpora-List] Sentiment Analyzer & POS Tagger?

Yosem Companys ycompanys at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:53:29 UTC 2010

Dear All,

My name is Yosem Companys, and I am a PhD candidate at Stanford University
specialized in qualitative research.  I am writing to ask whether you know
of any user-friendly and transparent sentiment analyzer and parts-of-speech
(POS) tagger (not necessarily in the same software package)?

I've found lots of good content analysis programs online that do word
accounting, concordance analysis, KWIC analysis, etc.  But I have not found
any (academic) sentiment analyzers and POS taggers.

I say user-friendly because I have found POS taggers that require
programming language, which I lack.  I say transparent because I have found
sentiment analyzers that do not disclose their methodology or are based on
rigid dictionaries.

The ideal would be an affordable program with a nice user interface that
enables you to create your own dictionaries (or build upon existing
dictionaries) and set your own rules (exclusion, stop-word lists) prior to
doing analyses.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Yosem