[Corpora-List] Free text corpora?

Geoffrey Williams geoffrey.williams at univ-ubs.fr
Wed Mar 3 06:45:40 UTC 2010

Dear Adam,

Watering down of a discipline in order to take on board all comers is not
a good thing. Far from strangling corpus linguistics Martin is reaffirming
its very basis. Sinclair et al's OSTI report laid down the basics. These
have been improved over the years, gaining greater clarity, until the 1996
EAGLES definition was published. This was a benchmark until Sinclair's
2005 revised version, discussed in detail in the book edited by Martin.

Dumps are about rubbish, either legal or fly dumping. The results is still
rubbish in rubbish out. Corpus linguistics has to have a benchmark,
otherwisde it would cease to exist.

However corpus linguistics does not have a monopoly on the word corpus
which is somewhat polysemic. If a Wikipedia or other dump works for
testing some commercial application or NLP project, then why not use it.
On the other hand, don't say that corpus linguistics is being done.

Corpora list is wealthy through the experience of many who use corpora in
different ways. Not all are corpus linguists, neither should they be. It
is esential however that those disciplines involved know their research
protocols. This is what Martin's timely reminder is about.

Perfection is difficult to achieve, but that does not make it a less
worthwhile goal.

Best

Geoffrey

>> ...and a "dump" such as this couldn't be further from qualifying as a
> corpus, if defined as "a > collection of pieces of language, selected and
> ordered according to explicit linguistic criteria > in order to be used as
> sample of the language.”
>
> Sorry, Martin, but your definition of 'corpus' reads like it's designed to
> strangle the life out of corpus linguistics. It begs questions about
> selection and ordering (?? how does ordering come into it?) and explicit
> linguistic criteria, and demotes many things that people refer to as
> 'corpora' to a lower form of life.   Lexicographically, bad.
>
> I think it's a dream of some corpus linguists as to what they think a
> corpus
> should be, not a fact about how the word is used.  But, delete the middle
> clause and we're in agreement:
>    "a collection of pieces of language, used as a sample of the language"
>
> Adam
>
> On 2 March 2010 22:55, Martin Wynne <martin.wynne at oucs.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> Francis Tyers wrote:
>>
>>> El dt 02 de 03 de 2010 a les 12:38 +0100, en/na Xin Yan va escriure:

>>> You can download dumps of Wikipedia from http://download.wikimedia.org
>>> -- they are licensed under the CC-BY-SA or GFDL -- both of which allow
>>> commercial use, providing changes made are redistributed under the same
>>> licence.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Fran

>> Dumps of wikipedia may be an interesting electronic text collection that
>> can be used to help address various linguistic research questions, but I
>> think that the request was for a corpus...and a "dump" such as this
>> couldn't
>> be further from qualifying as a corpus, if defined as "a collection of
>> pieces of language, selected and ordered according to explicit
>> linguistic
>> criteria in order to be used as a sample of the language.”
>>
>> The good news is that corpora are available. If you let us know what
>> sort
>> of corpus you are looking for and for what sort of commercial uses you
>> intend to put them to, I am sure that there are plenty of people here on
>> the
>> mailing list who can help you.
>>
>> Martin
>> Oxford Text Archive

> --

Prof. Geoffrey Williams,
Vice Président des Relations Internationales
Professeur des universités en sciences du langage
Directeur du département d'ingénierie du document
UFR de Lettres, Sciences Humaines et Sociales
Université de Bretagne-Sud
4 rue Jean Zay,
BP92116
F-56321 LORIENT Cedex