[Corpora-List] Translation evaluation using word alignment

Emmanuel Prochasson emmanuel.prochasson at univ-nantes.fr
Tue Mar 9 05:15:27 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I am looking for a way to evaluate the likeliness of two sentences being
parallel. I found many tools to perform sentence/word alignment (GIZA++,
uplug, NATool), in order to /train/ a statistical translation model, or
find a lexicon.

My problem is somehow different : I don't want to learn an alignment
from a pair of parallel sentences (or documents), I want to see if two
sentences are actually parallel by using a previously computed model and
see if it can fit.

Training the statistical model will help to learn p(f|e), probability of
/f/ being the translation of /e/, then a MT system will find, for a
given /e/, the /f/ that maximize the previous probability. My problem is
simpler: I want to be able to find p(f|e) immediately. I think one way
of doing that is to see if I can find a good word-alignment between the
two sentences.

Do you know of any tool for that, or do I need to implement one, using
Viterbi's algorithm for example ?

Thank you,

--
Emmanuel