[Corpora-List] Google's translations

Nitin Madnani nmadnani at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:58:58 UTC 2010

There has been work on visualizing various aspects of SMT:

J. Albrecht, R. Hwa, and G. E. Marai. The Chinese Room: Visualization
and Interaction to Understand and Correct Ambiguous Machine
Translation. Computer Graphics Forum, Vol. 28, No. 3.

Visualizing Data Structures in Parsing-Based Machine Translation.
Jonathan Weese and Chris Callison-Burch, 2010. In The Prague Bulletin
of Mathematical Linguistics (PBML), Number 93, January 2010.

Pattern Visualization for Machine Translation Output. With Philip
Resnik. In Proceedings of HLT/EMNLP Demonstrations, pages 12–13,
October 2005

Cheers,
Nitin

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Angus Grieve-Smith <grvsmth at panix.com> wrote:
> On 3/11/2010 10:10 AM, chris brew wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Peter Kolb <pekoli at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have three comments:
>>
>> 1. The text by Kant contains a lot of anaphoric pronouns. From Google's
>> translation it is obvious that their system does not perform any pronoun
>> resolution (or at least none that works better than a random baseline).
>> However, there exist German to English translation engines on the market
>> that incorporate such components.
>
> I would moderate that conclusion. If, as I suspect, the Google engine for
> German to English is a statistical
> one, it will be choosing a translation by optimizing a complex internal
> criterion that involves tradeoffs between multiple criteria. Because SMT
> systems are not conventionally modular, it is hard to
> say what components they have or do not have.
>
>     Which is why it would be a huge boon to the science of language if more
> of the statistical machine translation systems produced some kind of
> human-readable report of what they "learn" from their "training" data.
>
> --
> 				-Angus B. Grieve-Smith
> 				grvsmth at panix.com

Got Blog?