[Corpora-List] Phonetic corpora as a tool for language classification.

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 17 19:41:52 UTC 2010

Yuri Tambovtsev wrote:
> Some time ago it was a common place in linguistics that Latin is a
> Romance language. However, according to the modern classification Latin
> is an Italic language.

My understanding is that Italic is a historical grouping including Latin
and some extinct languages, with the Romance languages being the
descendants of Latin.  And depending on your definition, Latin may or
may not be extinct too.

(Actually, I've never heard Latin classified as a Romance language; I've
only heard it called the *parent* of the modern Romance languages.)
--
    Mike Maxwell
    What good is a universe without somebody around to look at it?