[Corpora-List] BBC live multi-way translation

Miles Osborne miles at inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 19:08:24 UTC 2010

i was talking with a BBC reporter and indeed, they have the full log.

my feedfback to him is not that translation works (or otherwise), but
that people need to have something to actually talk about.  there are
obvious UI things to do here (eg have threading in the conversation to
help show and promote dialogue).

anyway, the fact that so many people can use translation like this is
quite an achievement, so i'm impressed.

Miles

On 18 March 2010 18:26, P Resnik <psresnik at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup, interesting.   Well, ok, maybe not that interesting, e.g. the current
> topic is
>
> Now discussing
>
> If you could say one thing to the world, what would it be?
>
> which doesn't really foster people talking to each other.  Favorite posting,
> on a quick skim:
>
> 02:18 GMT
>
> Noory, Birmingham, UK
>
> wasssuuuppppppppppppp
>
> Still, has anybody been capturing the full content?
>
>   Philip
>

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Miles Osborne <miles at inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> The BBC right now have an event running whereby people are taking to
>> each other, using Google's translation system.
>>
>> You can see it live here:
>>
>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/superpower/spn.shtml
>>
>> (and follow parent for more background info)
>>
>> Miles
>>
>> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.